It has taken me a long time to write “My dad had Alzheimers”.
My dad was amazing, father of 7 children, sailed the world in the boat he outfitted himself, leaving New Zealand for Denmark at age 65, returning at age 67. He was fit, active, strong and he had Alzheimer’s.
He could never understand why I knitted, when I could just buy, and why I made my sauces and gravies from scratch instead of from a packet. Now I would answer – because it keeps my brain cells healthy and functional – I hope. And also as he always knew – because I could never not knit.
Since he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s we have all learned a lot about this disease from various sources other than watching his struggles.
One thing I have learned is that knitting may help protect one from Alzheimer’s – so I will keep on knitting because if it will help protect me from what he had to go through, then I shall knit forever. There is no way I want to realise how my life has changed and how little control I have over it – in those early stage Alzheimer’s more lucid moments.
So I keep on knitting – and I have been knitting Alzheimer brain cells – I have created 2 so far, using knitted I-cords. I am not sure I will ever photograph these, but I do look at them and I am reminded that knitting might help protect from Alzheimer’s.
I shall keep on knitting.
Can't find what you are looking for?
add the search words below:
If you do not find what you're looking for please use the email contact form to let us know what you are hoping to find here!
Art, Craft & Fibre Art Connections and other interesting sites
- A Gallery of Artists
- Craft Site Directory – Your Guide to Arts and Crafts on the Internet
- Crafternoon tea with Grannyg
- Creative Knitting Online Magazine
- European Textile Network
- Fiber Gypsy – Gallery of Fiber Artists
- Florence Biennale
- HotHive Textiles – the world of creative textiles
- Interweave Knits Magazine
- Jamie R. Morhaim – Paintings
- Japanese Knitters and Designers website
- Knitter's – The Knitting Universe
- Knitter's Graph Paper
- Lisa's Handspun Designs
- Lucire – The Global Fashion Magazine
- Marian Towns – Artist
- Melanie Ferdon
- Mishi Yarns
- Naughty Knitterz – The Internet Fiber Collaboration
- New Zealand’s Information Network
- Old Fart Expats
- Textile Arts – Resources for the textile arts community
- Textile Fibre Forum – The Australian Forum for Textile Arts
- The Big Idea Te Aria Nui
- The Knitting Guild Association
- Top 50 Knitting Sites
- Twisted Thread
- Visit New Zealand by TravelIndex
- Vogue Knitting
- World arts & artists – An arts portal
- WTA – World Textile Art Organisation